For Immediate Release
Angela Allmond, Communications Director
Oklahoma Democratic Party
Oklahoma Democratic Party Statement on Social Security Anniversary
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK, — AUGUST 14, 2023 – Oklahoma Democratic Party Chair Alicia Andrews released the following statement on the 88th anniversary of Social Security becoming law:
“As we celebrate the 88th anniversary of Social Security, we’re reminded that the stakes for its future could not be higher as MAGA Republicans continue to attack this essential program. The contrast couldn’t be more clear: President Biden and Democrats have vowed to protect Social Security while MAGA Republicans running for the highest office in the country are campaigning on slashing it for the $825 thousand Oklahomans who rely on its assistance.
Some MAGA Republicans, if they have their way, would end Social Security as we know it — which is why it’s so critical that we reelect President Biden, Vice President Harris and Democrats up and down the ballot to safeguard this vital program.”
2024 Republicans are campaigning on ripping away seniors’ benefits:
- Donald Trump admitted Social Security could be on the chopping block if he gets another term and proposed gutting the program every single year he was in office.
- Mike Pence has repeatedly called to cut Social Security on the campaign
- Nikki Haley is campaigning on cutting Social Security.
- Ron DeSantis has a long, consistent record of calling to end Social Security as we know it.
- Tim Scott recently doubled down on his plan to cut essential programs such as Social Security and has called it a “beast” that needs to be wrestled to the ground.
For more information about the Oklahoma Democratic Party, visit the party website at okdemocrats.org, or call party headquarters at 405-427-3366.